Water Jet Pump – The Future in Waterjet Cutting Technology
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ water jet pump is a revolutionary concept in waterjet cutting. It incorporates a servo motor directly enveloping a high load, precision ball screw. The ball screw directly houses the ceramic plungers, which reciprocate back and forth to create the pumping action, in much the same way as a hydraulic cylinder works on an intensifier waterjet pump. The infinite control of the servo motor and precision of the ball screw, enable extremely accurate control over the output pressure and volume of the water displaced, and eliminates pressure spikes when deadheading. This infinite control gives an operator the ability to program virtually any pressure and flow rate from zero to full capacity, while only using the power displaced at the cutting head.
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ is by far the most efficient waterjet pump available on the market, delivering “real” efficiency gains and “real” savings.
The Quantum NXT™ only ever uses the power required for the cutting process. This means that regardless of whether the cutting head is open or closed, or the pressure or flow is reduced, there are no additional power losses.
The below graph highlights the increasing efficiency gains achieved with the Quantum NXT™ as duty cycles decrease.
Salient Features Of The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ Water Jet Pump Series
- Most Efficient Waterjet Pump – up to 60% more efficient than standard hydraulic intensifiers
- Lowest Cooling Water Requirement – up to 75% less cooling water than standard hydraulic intensifiers
- Most Quiet – 70dBA with almost silent operation
- Smallest Footprint – up to 50% less sq. ft. than an average hydraulic intensifier, lower profile and more ergonomic
- Longest Life Fittings and Tubing – due to the elimination of “dead head” pressure spikes
- Easiest Maintenance – easy access and improved visual diagnostics
- Superior Design – quick-change seal components for the fastest seal change in the industry
- Smartest – Intelligent Diagnostic Control reduces maintenance and increases uptime
- Environmentally Friendly – significantly less consumption of water & power, and minimal oil usage compared to standard hydraulic intensifiers
|Max Output Pressure (BAR)||52,000 PSI (3585)||55,000 PSI (3790)||66,000 PSI (4550)||55,000 PSI (3792)||66,000 PSI (4550)|
|* Max Output Volume (LPM)||0.5 GPM (1.9)||1.0 GPM (3.8)||2.0 GPM (7.6)||1.6 GPM (6.0)|
L x W x H (m)
|51” (1.3) x 21” (0.5) x 42” (1.1)||73″ (1.8) x 26″ (0.66) x 50″ (1.27)||67″ (1.7) x 35″ (0.9) x 39″ (1.0)|
|Weight (kg)||905 lbs (410)||1390 lbs (630)||2240 lbs (1020)|
|Max Noise Level||68 dBA||70 dBA||70 dBA|
|* Power Requirements||3 PH 380-480 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 30 Amp||3 PH 380-480 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 60 Amp||3 PH 380-480 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 80 Amp|
|Cooling Water Requirement||1 GPM (4 LPM) @ 68F (20C)||1.6 GPM (6 LPM) @ 68F (14C)||2.0 GPM (7.5 LPM) @ 68F (20C)|
* The technical data is not binding and may be changed by Techni Waterjet without prior notice.
* Output volume based on 480 vac electrical supply.
Water Jet Pump Core Technology — Proven & Reliable
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ (Electric Servo Pump) incorporates core “direct servo” technology that was first applied by NASA for the Space Shuttle Program by replacing old-fashioned hydraulic cylinders with new, highly compact, efficient, reliable and infinitely controllable Servo Linear Actuators. This same style actuator is used today in many high-end machine tools and presses replacing inefficient hydraulic systems. Similarly, TECHNI Waterjet™ is the first water jet pump manufacturer to utilize “direct servo” technology in an ultrahigh pressure waterjet pump and has developed patented designs to integrate the core technology into the most efficient, reliable and controllable ultra-high pressure (UHP) waterjet cutting pump.
Existing Technology — The Best of Both Worlds
Traditional waterjet pumps are categorized into two main types – intensifier pumps and direct drive crankshaft pumps. These two types offer different benefits, but both have considerable limitations.
- Intensifier waterjet pumps are capable of delivering higher operating pressures, can support multiple nozzles, and can be “dead-headed” by holding pressure without any water being displaced. While dead-heading is desirable to pause or hold the cutting operation, it results in unwanted pressure spikes of up to 10% of the operating pressure, which is harmful to components and causes failure in high pressure piping and fittings. Intensifier pumps are typically very inefficient, large and noisy.
- Direct drive crankshaft pumps are smaller, quieter and more efficient, but cannot dead-head, and must displace the water whenever the motor is on, which is done by dumping the water over a relief valve to drain. As a result, it is not practical to run multiple heads or varying orifices, as the unused water and energy is wasted. Direct drive crankshaft water jet pumps are not suitable for running varying pressures, and are less reliable than intensifier pumps due to their high plunger piston speeds.
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ takes advantage of all the best features of the two existing technology pumps, while having none of their limitations.
Real Efficiency — Real Savings
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ is by far the most efficient water jet pump available on the market, delivering real efficiency gains and real savings. Direct drive crankshaft waterjet pumps have traditionally been marketed for their efficiency, however, they are only efficient while the cutting head is open and the full capacity of the pump is being used. When the head closes while the material is being loaded, unloaded, and re-loaded, or while the machine positions for the next cut, almost all of the energy is directed over a relief valve, literally sending power, water and money down the drain. Intensifier water jet pumps are inherently less efficient due to the power required to simply run the hydraulic system. They also use a large percentage of their power regardless whether cutting or idle, as the hydraulic oil is passed over a relief valve in the hydraulic system. The Quantum NXT™ only ever uses the power required for the cutting process. This means that regardless of whether the cutting head is open or closed, or the pressure or flow is reduced, there are no additional power losses.
Duty cycles equate to the percentage of time that the cutting head is open, cutting, and actually removing material. As with any profile cutting machine, a percentage of time is used to positioning the head between cuts and while sheets are being loaded and unloaded. Typical duty cycles range from 90% for heavy plate cutting, down to 20% for plastics, foams and automotive trim components. Most common waterjet applications such as metal cutting, fabrication, stone cutting, and glass cutting run at about a 60% duty cycle.
Reducing the Carbon Footprint with TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™
The TECHNI Waterjet™ Quantum NXT™ is the most environmentally friendly, has the least affect on global warming, and has the smallest carbon footprint of any waterjet cutting pump available on the market.
The high level of efficiency achieved by the Quantum NXT™ dramatically reduces the energy consumed and the water required. For example, a typical company running a single head waterjet cutting machine with the Quantum NXT™, for a single shift for a year, will save approximately 32,000 kW hrs, saving around $6,080/year in electricity charges, and reducing harmful CO2 green house gases by a staggering 20 tons/yr. There are also considerable water consumption savings as a result of the increased efficiency. For the same example, savings of approximately 290,000 gallons/yr can be achieved, resulting in savings of around $3,019/year.
*Figures are based on a comparison with a typical 50 hp intensifier pump running at 60% duty cycle.